“I love almost everything with chocolate” Brownies come in so many different varieties and flavors, it would be tough to lump them all into the same category. Frosted or unfrosted? Plain or with nuts? Double or triple chocolate? Cream cheese? Mint? Peanut butter? Raspberry? The possibilities are endless.
Brownie textures fall into three general camps…Cakey, fudgy and chewy.
Cake brownies, like the name implies, are light, moist and airy, with a slightly fluffy, cake-like interior. Fudgie brownies are moist, dense and gooey, with almost the texture of fudge, but not quite as compact. Chewy brownies are dense (like fudgie brownies), but have a little more “bite” to them or elastic texture when you chew them.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 240gr unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 260gr white sugar
- 200gr packed light brown sugar
- 57gr each large eggs, at room temperature
- 1tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 130gr all purpose flour
- 100gr good quality, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 200g roughly chopped chocolate or large chocolate chips
H O W T O P R E P A R E
- Preheat oven to 175°C | 350°F.
- Lightly grease an 8×12-inch baking pan* with cooking oil spray. Line with parchment paper (or baking paper); set aside.
- Combine melted butter, oil and sugars together in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the eggs and vanilla; beat until lighter in colour (another minute).
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder and salt. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until JUST combined (do NOT over beat as doing so well affect the texture of your brownies).
- Fold in 3/4 of the chocolate pieces.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top out evenly, and top with remaining chocolate pieces.
- After 15-20 minutes, carefully remove them out of the pan and allow to cool to room temperature before slicing into 16 brownies. They set while they cool.
N O T E S
Bake for 25-30 minutes for just under-done brownies (fudgier texture) or until the centre of the brownies no longer jiggles and is JUST set to the touch OR 35-40 minutes if you like your brownies well set and firm.
Brownies will continue baking and set in the hot pan out of the oven. If testing with a toothpick, the toothpick should come out dirty for fudge-textured brownies.
recipe by cafedelites