Spekkoek (kue lapis or spekuk in Indonesian) is a type of Indonesian layer cake. It Lapis, meaning “layered” cake, is a sumptuous treat and is often served during Ramadan and Hari Raya. After a long day of fasting, many people break fast by first consuming water and dates, or cakes for sweetness, allowing their tummy to settle before having a more substantial meal. There are many variations of Kue Lapis and the method of making it traditionally can be quite laborious and time consuming (the thin layers that make up the cake must be cooked before the next layer is applied). The Lapis Surabaya is a 3 layered cake and is an easier but just as delicious version.
I did only half recipe, so this is the original recipe
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 30 egg yolks
- 150gr sieved flour
- 300gr butter
- 240gr fine granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2tbs cacao
H O W T O P R E P A R E
- Grease and dust three 20 cm (8″) square or round sandwich tins.
- Beat the butter in high speed for 4 minutes until creamy.
- In other bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar in highspeed for 10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Fold in flour into the eggs and then add in the butter and fold.
- Divide this batter into three equal parts.
- Sieve the cocoa into one part of batter, mix well and pour into a 20 cm sandwich tin.
- Pour the remaining two parts of batter into the two other tins of the same size.
- Bake in 180°C for 15-20 minutes, starting with the cocoa batter.
- Bake the two other tins.
- Warm the strawberry jam and pass the jam through a coarse sieve.
- Lastly sandwich the cocoa layer between the plain layers, spreading strawberry jam between the layers. I suggested to cut after you have put it in the fridge for few hours.