WHAT IS DALGONA COFFEE
Essentially, dalgona coffee (달고나 커피) is whipped coffee. It is made with 4 simple ingredients – instant coffee, sugar, hot water and milk.
Coffee, sugar and hot water is added into a bowl and whisked until it reaches creamy, velvety and stiff peak status. This whipped coffee is then dolloped onto your choice of cold or warm milk.
Dalgona coffee was first mentioned on a Korean TV program earlier this year. It became viral after because of Co-Vid people started doing challenges at home via tiktok.
The name “dalgona” originate from an old fashioned Korean street snack, which has a similar taste to honeycomb toffee. The way dalgona is made sort of resembles the whipped coffee, so a TV personality named the coffee after that.
This coffee is just similar like a Frappe but it served upside down.
Anyway this whipped coffee is super easy, quick and fun to make
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1tbsp instant coffee
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp hot water
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup milk (your choice), chilled or heated
- (optional) ice cubes
H O W T O P R E P A R E
- Combine instant coffee, sugar and hot water in a mixing bowl. Mix them well.
- Then using a handheld mixer (stand mixer or milk frother) whisk it on high speed until the coffee mixture forms a stiff peak (2-4 mins).
- If you don’t have any of these tools, you can whisk it manually by hand. It still works! Just whisk it about 400 times.
- Add the ice cubes in a mug then pour over the milk.
- Scoop out the whipped coffee on top of the milk.