Another challenge from my dear friend @indonesiaeats to sell these delicious Lumpia Surabaya (Spring Roll) When She tagged me the photo of hers, @ditatherning, @misspratiwi and @momcecistella wanted to order them. This was also my very first time to cook this snack from Surabaya. The recipe is taken from Pepy’s blog
This Lumpia is known as a street food in Surabaya, East Java Indonesia. Actually, there are several version of Lumpia or Spring Roll in Indonesia. One of them is from Semarang, Central Java. The roll is similar, they both using bambo shoot and the differences is Surabaya’s using a little bit of minced chicken and they put Soya bean paste in the sauce. The one from Surabaya is using Soya Bean in the sauce while not from Semarang.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 500gr shredded fresh bamboo shoot
- 500gr peeled shrimp, chopped
- 2tbsp ground dried shrimp (Indonesian: ebi)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1tsp ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1tbsp Indonesian sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 3tbsp oil for stir frying
B R O W N S O Y B E A N S A U C E
- 250ml water
- 1tbsp Brown soya bean sauce (look at the photo)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 85gr Palm Sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1tbsp corn starch or tapioca flour dissolve in a small amount of water
- bird eyes chilies, chopped
H O W T O P R E P A R E
B R O W N S A U C E
- Put water, coconut sugar, salt and garlic, soya bean sauce in your chopper.
- If ecerythibg blends, use your strainer and pour the water into a saucepan.
- Thicken with tapioca flour mixture, stir until mixed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
L U M P I A
- Cook bambo shoot with water and 1 tbsp sugar until boiled, drain. Stir fry garlic until fragrant, add shrimp, bamboo shoot, ground dried shrimp, oyster sauce, kecap manis, white pepper and salt. Add broth, cook until water evaporates.
- Place 2- 3 tbsp filling on the wrapper. Fold over the corner that faces away from us. Brush brown sauce onto this corner for gluing. Fold over the left-facing and right-facing corners. Roll the lumpia toward us, onto the remaining corner of the wrapper. Examine the wrapper to ensure that it is fully sealed. Do until all filling and wrappers done.
- Deep fry until golden brown.