Crème brûlée, also known as burned cream, burnt cream or Trinity cream, and similar to crema catalana, is a dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a layer of hardened caramelized sugar.
I love this dessert. A very rich custard with a burnt caramelized sugar on top of it.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 dl whipping cream
- 1.5 dl milk, 3% fat
- 7 egg yolks
- 1.5 dl caster sugar
- 0.5 dl cane sugar sprinkle
H O W T O P R E P A R E
- Set the oven to 150 degrees (top and bottom heat).
- Divide the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Put vanilla seeds, vanilla bean, whipping cream and milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and powdered sugar by hand in a bowl to a smooth batter.
- Pour the egg batter into the saucepan with milk and cream, stirring constantly. Let the mixture soak for 10 minutes.
- Place your portion forms in a deep baking dish and pour the Crème brûlée batter into them.
- Fill the baking tin with water so that the water is as deep as the tins are filled with Crème brûlée batter.
- Bake the Crème brûlée in the middle of the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the Crème brûlée has become stable.
- Allow the molds to cool completely in the refrigerator before serving. It is very easy to prepare them a few days before and store them in the refrigerator.
- When serving, sprinkle cane sugar on top and burn it off until you get a wonderfully golden and caramelized surface.