Well, this Malaysian Chicken Kari is really tasty! You can eat it with rice or Roti Jala or Roti Paratha which will be amazingly good too.
I N G R E D I E N T S
S P I C E P A S T E
- 8 pcs shallots, peeled
- 10 dried chillies, seeds separated
- 4 fresh red chillies, seeds separated
- 5 pcs candlenuts
- 1/2 head garlic, peeled
- 2 inch ginger
- 2 pcs lemongrass, roughly chopped
- 20gr belachan
C U R R Y
- 1.5 kg chicken, use bony parts
- 3 pcs medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 blocks of chicken buljong
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pcs star anise
- 4 pcs cloves
- 6 pcs green cardamoms
- 6 pcs curry leaves
- fish sauce
- brown sugar
H O W T O P R E P A R E
- In a food processor combine all Spice Paste ingredients, process until it becomes a paste. Add chilli seeds to adjust to the hotness you want.
- Place spice paste in a covered jar and let the flavours mature for at least a day.
- In a bowl combine spice paste and chicken then let it marinate for not more than 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a big wok then sauté cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, green cardamoms and curry leaves, stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the marinated chicken together with all of its marinade and fry on low heat, continue to fry until it’s really fragrant. (You might need to open your windows when doing this especially if you made a spicy hot version)
- Pour the chicken stock, turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover the wok then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, cover again then simmer in low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, cover then simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and brown sugar then serve with freshly cooked rice and roti.